Violet Winter

Friday, February 6, 2009

365 Days of Tommy P: Day 37



Friday, February 6, 2009 (37)

A number of years back, it’s hard to tell these days when exactly, when I was the sex symbol and bass player for my band No Fate, I was stopped at a red light on my way to band practice in Chicago. It was a warm and sunny summer afternoon as I waited in my dark blue Honda Accord for the traffic light to turn green. I glanced in my rear view mirror and saw two young ladies dancing to music in their seats. I slid on my shades on the new Reforma demo I got outside of the Metro the previous evening. Movement in my rear view mirror caught my attention and I looked into at the girls again. They had just put on sunglasses as well and were still dancing. The light turned green and the warm summer breeze surrounded me as I drove down the boulevard with the windows down and the sunroof open. At the next stoplight they were still behind, this time smiling and waving. I waved back to them and they turned to each other and laughed. I shifted my car into park and got out leaving the door open behind me. I approached the open window on the driver’s side of the girls’ car. They looked at each other again and did more of what looked like a giggle than a laugh.

“Would you girls like a free CD?” I asked with a smile as I removed a No Fate demo from my pocket.

“Thank you.” The driver said with a grin as she took the CD from me.

“Would you like a free cookie?” The passenger asked me, holding a tin of homemade cookies, as she leaned over her friend with a wide white smile.

“Thank you,” I said as I smiled to both girls and returned to my car before the light turned green.

A few minutes later something struck my rear windshield. It was a cookie. I saw in my mirror that the girls were laughing again. I turned down stereo and heard that they were blasting the CD that I had just given them. I raised my hand up through my sunroof and the passenger made a second throw. This time the cookie she had thrown found its way to my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment