Violet Winter

Monday, April 13, 2009

365 Words of Music: "Major Tom (Coming Home)" - Shiny Toy Guns

365 Words of Music: “Major Tom (Coming Home)” – Shiny Toy Guns

When I actually find time to sit down and watch my favorite programs on the DVR I skip through the commercials. Sometimes I do happen to catch a few. This has been quite fortunate since it occasionally introduces me to something I may have otherwise missed. Lincoln has been using a cover of “Major Tom” to push their 2010 Lincoln MKZ. I was instantly drawn to the haunting electro tune featuring a soft female seductive voice. This isn’t the first time that an electro cover used in a commercial caught my attention this year. Another similarity with this instance is that I care more about the song than the advertised product. However, I suppose if I talk about it to people and say “Did you see the new commercial for the 2010 Lincoln MKZ? It’s has a cool cover of ‘Major Tom,’” then that is good enough because I am still talking about the product.

As I have done in the past I went to the company’s website to download the full song version. It was not available. I searched the Internet only to find false information. Finally this week I received a tweet from Shiny Toy Guns saying, “In 15 minutes ‘Major Tom’ is yours . . .” The power of the digital age! I found the artist of the song and fifteen minutes later I had the complete version of the track. The fact that it is performed by Shiny Toy Guns explains why I was drawn to it. However it is not an obvious STG track with their recognizable dance club groove featuring a pounding house kick and hypnotic synth hook – which explains why I did not realize whom the artist was at first.

STG is no stranger to cover songs. The first two versions of their debut album, We Are Pilots, features covers of the nearly eighty years old “Puttin’ On The Ritz” and Depeche Mode’s “Stripped,” respectively. They also recorded a cover of the Prince hit “Nothing Compares 2 U” for a goth electro tribute to Prince compilation. I have yet to hear the full version of that track.

1 comment:

  1. i downloaded the sound and used it in one of my hobby car commercial.. and face book removed it.?? now that's weird... this commercial and song is great..

    ReplyDelete